On Sunday (19 September) Israeli officials warned that the next 48 hours could decide whether the fragile 13-month Suez Canal truce is over.
On Sunday (19 September) Israeli officials warned that the next 48 hours could decide whether the fragile 13-month Suez Canal truce is over. On Saturday Israel accused Egypt of firing a volley of missiles at its planes flying inside Israeli-held airspace. But on Friday, Egyptian missiles were alleged to have brought down a transport plane over Israeli occupied Sinai.
As Israel prepared to celebrate the new year 5732, according to the Jewish calendar, Deputy Premier Yigal Allon said on Saturday night that he hoped the shooting down of the transport plane, in which seven of the eight-man crew died, was merely an episode and did not herald a resumption of hostilities.
VISNEWS cameraman J. Davidovitch was among a party of newsmen taken to view the wreckage of the transport plane on Saturday (18 September).
SYNOPSIS: On Saturday, Israeli officials conducted newsmen to the wreckage of a transport plane in Sinai, allegedly shot down by Egyptian missiles the day before. Seven crewmen died in the wreckage of the Boeing Stratocruiser, a slow-speed World War Two vintage aircraft.
Egypt claimed to have shot down the plane after it had flown over Egyptian positions, but Israeli officials said that the aircraft would not be used for reconnaissance. They said the attack on Friday was apparently in retaliation for the downing last week of an Egyptian jet, which Israel said was flying over its canal-side positions. On Saturday Israel accused Egypt of firing missiles at its planes flying inside Israeli-held airspace.
Israeli officials said that the next forty-eight hours could decide the fate of the thirteen-month Suez Canal truce. Israeli officials believe that the Egyptians may be trying to produce a situation of controlled tension inducing the United States to bring pressure upon Israel to make further concessions over an interim agreement to re-open the canal.