When the South Bank Exhibition - part of Britain's Festival Year enterprises - closed in 1951, the Talekinema designed as one of the temporary exhibition building, was taken over by the British Film Institute and after being re-equipped was re-opened in 1952 as the National Film Theatre.
L.V. Showing National Theatre, in lighting "H.R.M. Princess Margaret."
L.V.Towards Kenneth Moore and wife arriving.
S.V. Jack Hawkins and wife arriving.
S.V. Sir Philip Carter arriving.
Side V.Towards Akira Kurasawa and party from Japan arriving.
L.V. Gina Lollobrigida steps out of car and gets tangled in her dress
T.C.V. Crowd outside Theatre.
S.V. Gina entering theatre with her husband into close up
L.V.Towards Lord Hailsham, and wife arriving.
S.V. Into close up ditto.
S.V. Mayor and Mayoress of Lambeth arriving
G.V.Int. Crowd outside theatre.
L.V.Int. Princess Margaret arriving and is met by Mayor of Lambeth.
S.V. Princess Margaret entering foyer
S.V. Ditto. she is introduced to guests.
L.V. Princess Margaret shakes hands with various guests.
Side V. Ditto.
C.U.Pan to B.V. Princess Margaret walks towards and enters the theatre.
L.V. Princess Margaret walks on to stage of theatre.
S.V. Audience seated.
S.V. Princess Margaret walks to stars
SCU (S.O.F.) Princess talking, finishes and sits down
S.V. Princess Margaret being presented with silver casket date 16th Century; containing film strip of Queen Mary's visit, Bedford College in 1913.
S.V. Princess Margaret receiving silver casket.
L.V. Gina Lollobrigida receiving presentation
S.C.U. Ditto walks away.
L.V. Presentation to Akira Kurosawa (Japanese).
C.U. Guests of honour applauding.
S.V. Lord Hailsham makes presentation to Sir Laurence Olivier.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: When the South Bank Exhibition - part of Britain's Festival Year enterprises - closed in 1951, the Talekinema designed as one of the temporary exhibition building, was taken over by the British Film Institute and after being re-equipped was re-opened in 1952 as the National Film Theatre.
But the lease on the site, which was owned by the London County Council, was of five years duration only. However, with the imminent expiry of the lease, the Institute established a new theatre nearby and it is this centre which was opened officially last night (October 15) by Princess Margaret.
The theatre is labelled 'National' but it is far more than that. The film which will be shown, the techniques displayed, indeed every impact of motion picture history and development housed in this new theatre will be truly International.
A crowd of stars, including Gina Lollobrigida and Kenneth More, were among the distinguished film personalities who attended the opening, together with directors from all parts of the world. Lord Hailsham, Chairman of the Conservative party, also attended in an honorary capacity.