In a statement, read on Italian television on July 25, Mario Meneguzzi, an uncle of the kidnapped girl Emanuela Orlandi, asked for proof that she is still alive.
SV ZOOM TO SCU Mario Meneguzzi, uncle of kidnapped girl, Emanuela Orlandi, reading a statement in a television studio (ITALIAN SOT)
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: In a statement, read on Italian television on July 25, Mario Meneguzzi, an uncle of the kidnapped girl Emanuela Orlandi, asked for proof that she is still alive. The 15-year-old daughter of a Vatican employee, has been held for exactly a month and her kidnappers have demanded the release of Mehmed Ali Agca, the Turkish gunman who shot the Pope in 1981, in exchange for her. Mr Meneguzzi said the Orlandi family has received two hoax telephone calls since July 20, the deadline, set by the kidnappers. He said that the kidnappers must now supply proof, that the girl is still alive. But, he added, the family is hoping she might be released unharmed. The Italian government has so far made no comment on the affair and it appears highly unlikely that President Sandro Pertini, the only who could order Agca's release, is willing to do so. Agca himself has condemned the kidnapping and said he does not want to be released. The kidnappers say no notice should be taken of his statement. Pope John II has appealed four times to the kidnappers to release the girl unharmed.