After beating off Ron Lyle's challenge to his title in Las Vegas on Friday (16 May), the World Heavyweight Champion, Muhammed Ali, was in fight.
After beating off Ron Lyle's challenge to his title in Las Vegas on Friday (16 May), the World Heavyweight Champion, Muhammed Ali, was in fight. Ali described Lyle, who is ranked eighth contender for the World title, as a good fighter who deserved to stay in the top ten contenders.
The fight had been stopped by referee Ferd Hernandes after one minute eight seconds of the eleventh round, because Lyle was taking heavy punishment from Ali while standing virtually defenceless on wobbly legs in a neutral corner. Later at the news conference, Lyle said he did not think that the fight should have been stopped.
Ali told the newsmen that he was going to take a week off, before resuming his training for his next title fight against Britain's Joe ??? in Kuala Lumpur next month. It will take place on June 30, and will be the second time that Ali and Bugner have met. Bugner is the European Heavyweight Champion, and in the first fight between the two, he was outpointed by Ali in 12 rounds.
This film includes an extract from Ali's remarks at the news conference in Las Vegas. The following is a transcript.