A memorial service for assassinated Ayatollah Ashrafi Esfahani was staged in Teheran on October 18.
1. GV INTERIOR Congregation chanting and first waving 0.10
2. CU People holding portraits of Ayatollah Ashrafi Isfahani and beating chests in sorrow (2 shots) 0.40
3. CU PAN Mourners beating breasts and chanting 0.53
4. CU Prime Minister Hussein Moussaui (wearing glasses) and International Minister Nateq Nuri (on the PM's right) at ceremony 1.00
5. GV & CU Crowd in hall and Moussaui and Nuri seated (2 shots) 1.10
6. SV PAN Portrait of ayatollah Isfahani PAN line of wounded men, some in wheel chairs and others with crutches 1.34
7. GV & CU Mourners chanting (2 shots) 1.48
8. SV & LV Hojatoleslam Falsafi speaking from special Islamic religious chair, behind banner (2 shots) 2.04
9. GV Mourners chanting 2.13
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: TEHERAN, IRAN
A memorial service for assassinated Ayatollah Ashrafi Esfahani was staged in Teheran on October 18. Ayatollah Esfahani was a leading Iranian clergyman and a representative of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in the western city of Kermanshah. The clergyman was killed, apparently by a suicide commando, while conducting Friday prayers in the city's main mosque on October 15. In the past year, four close aides of Ayatollah Khomeini have been killed while leading prayers in several Iranian cities. Ayatollah Esfahani's attacker also died in the attack on Friday, caused by a hand grenade. Several other people were killed in the attack.
Source: REUTERS - MAHMOUD OSKOUI