United States troops continued their advance into Cambodia against the Viet Cong yesterday (Thursday) with casualties rising on both sides.
United States troops continued their advance into Cambodia against the Viet Cong yesterday (Thursday) with casualties rising on both sides. A United States military official said that in terms of communists killed, arms captured and material discovered, the offensive was highly successful.
So far, the United States claim, 3,631 Viet Cong have been killed by American and South Vietnamese forces. American forces, totalling 12,000 have suffered 49 killed in action and 148 wounded. South Vietnam says it has lost 283 men.
The Americans claim their sweep into Cambodia has resulted in the capturing of several hundred tons of rice, more than a million rounds of ammunition, thousands of weapons and scores of trucks.
Although admitting that it was difficult to estimate the number of Viet Cong killed, the Americans claim that the figure is as high as four or five thousand men.
The operation began last Tuesday week. President Nixon ordered American troops over the border from South Vietnam to locate and destroy Viet Cong headquarters in Cambodia.