Violence flared again in the Christian half of Beirut as Lebanon's right-wingers accused Syrian troops of having provoked a battle to wreck the Camp David accords.
Violence flared again in the Christian half of Beirut as Lebanon's right-wingers accused Syrian troops of having provoked a battle to wreck the Camp David accords. In the fighting on Thursday (28 September) night, tanks, multiple rocket launches, artillery, mortars and machine-guns were used.
SYNOPSIS: Officials of the Christian-based rightist militias described the fighting as the worst since July, when a five-day syrian artillery bombardment of the residential East Beirut districts killed an estimated two hundred civilians. The Falangist Party radio station said the Syrians had started pounding East Beirut on orders from Damascus.
In a communique, the Arab League Peace Force which is made up almost entirely of Syrian troops, said that they had been shelled by rightist artillery for five hours on Thursday night without replying. They warned that Syrian patience was running out and that they would be forced to become less tolerant and deal effectively with the sources of fire. As a result of this renewed fighting Syrian President Hafez Al-Assad cut short a tour of Arab countries aimed at rallying support for his opposition to the Camp David agreements.
At least six are reported dead and more than sixty wounded. Both sides are believed to be preparing for another offensive. Meanwhile, for some, the realities of war are a bed in the corridor of an already over-crowded hospital. Many have lost their homes. Estimates indicate that almost five hundred have been damaged, as well as schools, hospitals and churches.
A comparative lull came on Friday (29 September) a few hours after Camille Chamoun, leader of the Rightist National Liberation Party, said there would be a popular uprising unless the Syrians stopped shooting. Monsieur Chamoun, a former President, is leading the campaign for the Arab Defence Force to leave Lebanon.