The South West African People's Organisation (SWAPO) on Friday (August 9) introduced newsmen in Lusaka, Zambia, to an old man whom they said was the sole survivor of a village massacre by South African troops.
LV EXTERIOR...Lusaka Liberation Centre
SCU Interior Moses Gaardeb and Andrgas Shipanga (left to right) seated in front of newsmen (2 shots)
SV Peter Nangolo points out survivours (4 shots)
SV and CU Aaron Haingula, shows newsmen his wounds and damaged eye (3 shots)
CU Africa Magazine , with articles on Namibia
CU PAN from picture titled "injuries sustained" to man who sustained injuries.
Initials ET/1959 ET/2013
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: The South West African People's Organisation (SWAPO) on Friday (August 9) introduced newsmen in Lusaka, Zambia, to an old man whom they said was the sole survivor of a village massacre by South African troops.
SWAPO told the newsmen that 75-year-old Aaron Haingula ran away when his village in Namibia (South West Africa) was surrounded by 200 soldiers in September last year. It was claimed 105 men, women and children were killed in the attack.
Haingula told the journalists he was later captured and tortured by the South African soldiers. He showed his wounds, which included cuts over his body and a damaged eye.
The SWARO spokesman said the South African authorities had denied that the massacre took place. The spokesman refused to name the village.
At the same conference, SWAPO produced other africans whom they claim have recently escaped from Namibia.