As the Israelis continued their defensive drive past the 1967 ceasefire line into Syria, the first press casualty of the Middle East war was reported.
As the Israelis continued their defensive drive past the 1967 ceasefire line into Syria, the first press casualty of the Middle East war was reported. An Israeli cameraman employed by the National Broadcasting Company of American (NBC) was wounded. N.B.C. said he was hit about 10 miles (16 kms) past the 1967 ceasefire line in the Golan Heights. The cameraman was injured in the head and the arm by shrapnel, when an artillery barrage broke out while he was filming.Another American film crew, from the American Broadcasting company (ABC), filmed their colleague's evacuation from the battlefront.
On Sunday (14 October), the ninth day of the war, Israel's Defence Minister, Moshe Dayan, announced that the Syrian Army was "badly beaten and defeated". He said Israel could now swing the main weight of its armour and air force to the Suez front where the Israelis are fighting the Egyptians. A Syrian communique on Sunday said fierce battles were going on in the northern sector of the front protecting Damascus, but it did not give the exact location of the frontline.
The Syrian Information Minister, George Saddiqni told a press conference on Sunday that the fighting situation was "good" and gave a warning that Damascus wold be turned into a graveyard for the Israelis if they tried to conquer the ancient city. Mr. Saddiqni paid a special tribute to the fighting spirit shown by Moroccan and Iraqi forces fighting alongside the Syrian army.
On Saturday (13th October), Israel claimed to have wiped out an Iraqi Brigade which had been rushed in to reinforce Syrian troops. Eight Iraqi tanks were destroyed, according to the Israelis, on the Syrian front.