The last Short "Sunderland" Flying Boat arrived at Pembroke Dock, Wales, Mar 24, to be preserved there as a memorial.
The last Short "Sunderland" Flying Boat arrived at Pembroke Dock, Wales, Mar 24, to be preserved there as a memorial. Commodore Luthrau, of the French naval air service in Brest, where the Sunderland was in commission, made a formal presentation of the flying-boat to Mr Oswald Short, one of the brothers whose first built this type of aircraft. The ceremony was attended by Air Marshal Sir Edward Chilton.
Sunderland flying-boats first went into service in 1938. During World War Two they supported operations around the globe. Later they took part in the 1948-49 Berlin airlift, and in the 1951-54 British North Greenland Expedition. The last Royal Air Force Sunderland was retired in August 1959 at Singapore. Now the last one to serve outside the RAF also gone to rest.