• Short Summary

    MR. TOM MBOYA, THE KENYA MINISTER OF LABOUR, ANNOUNCED JUNE 8, THAT 4,000 STRIKING NAIROBI?

  • Description

    MR. TOM MBOYA, THE KENYA MINISTER OF LABOUR, ANNOUNCED JUNE 8, THAT 4,000 STRIKING NAIROBI CITY COUNCIL WORKERS WOULD RETURN TO WORK NEXT DAY TO ALLOW FOR CONCILIATION PROCEEDINGS. ON JUNE 7, HOWEVER, A CROWD OF ABOUT 1,000 STRIKERS RAISED THEIR HANDS AT A MASS MEETING IN SUPPORT OF STAYING OUT.

    THE STRIKERS WERE ADDRESSED BY FOUR UNION LEADERS - GORDON NYAWADE, PETER OBANDA, JAMES KAREBE AND JACOB OCHINO. THEY SPOKE IN FAVOUR OF A CONTINUATION OF THE STRIKE, AND ATTACKED THE KENYA FEDERATION OF LABOUR.

    A FEW HOURS EARLIER, A GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCEMENT SAID A "RETURN TO WORK" AGREEMENT HAD BEEN REACHED ON THE UNDERSTANDING THAT THE INTERPRETATION OF A WAGES AWARD - CAUSE OF THE DISPUTE - SHOULD BE REFERRED TO ARBITRATION IMMEDIATELY, AND THAT THE ARBITRATOR'S DECISION SHOULD BE FINAL AND BINDING ON BOTH SIDES.

    BUT WHEN THE LEADERS OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT WORKERS' UNION ADDRESSED THE STRIKERS, THEY URGED THAT THE STRIKE SHOULD CONTINUE UNTIL THE ARBITRATOR'S DECISION HAD BEEN MADE PUBLIC. PEACE CAME AFTER JOMO KENYATTA, PRESIDENT OF THE KENYA AFRICAN NATIONAL UNION, CONDEMNED THE RECENT STRIKE WAVE IN KENYA, AND SAID THAT WORKERS' GRIEVANCES MUST BE SETTLED BY PEACEFUL MEANS.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    VLVA76PLIKD0C51ZZJ1NVXM5QAI7B
    Media URN:
    VLVA76PLIKD0C51ZZJ1NVXM5QAI7B
    Group:
    Reuters - Including Visnews
    Archive:
    Reuters
    Issue Date:
    10/06/1962
    Sound:
    Unknown
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Stock:
    Black & White
    Duration:
    00:00:52:00
    Time in/Out:
    /
    Canister:
    N/A

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment