Israeli forces launched a major air and sea attack deep into Lebanon in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Israeli forces launched a major air and sea attack deep into Lebanon in the early hours of Wednesday morning. Troops were landed form helicopters and missile boats at one a.m. to attack two refuges camps near the Syrian border, which the Israelis claim are used as guerrilla training camps.
At least 18 people were killed in the raid, the deepest into Lebanon in the past four years. A Palestinian military spokesman said that the dead included women and children.
The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine said that five of their men had been killed and five wounded in the attack. Many installations were blown up by delayed action bombs.
The Israeli Defence Minister, General Moshe Dayan, welcomed home airborne troops after the raid. Eight Israeli troops were reported injured in the attack.