The twenty-two Cubans who flew to New Orleans from Havana on Tuesday (26 October), and defied an Immigration Department order to leave immediately, had bene refused their visas a month earlier.
The twenty-two Cubans who flew to New Orleans from Havana on Tuesday (26 October), and defied an Immigration Department order to leave immediately, had bene refused their visas a month earlier. By Thursday (October 28) they were still under guard in their New Orleans hotel while urgent negotiations took place at inter-government level to solve the problem of the 19 sugar technologists and thee aircraft crew-still refusing to leave until they were allowed to attend the sugar conference for which they had come. From New Orleans, film of their arrival and hotel detention.
SYNOPSIS: Twenty-two Cubans who landed without visas at New Orleans airport in the United States on Tuesday refused an Immigrations Department order to leave. The Cubans, 19 sugar technologists and their aircraft crew, said they would not go home until allowed to attend a sugar conference in New Orleans--for which they had already been refused visas a month ago. After ten hours at the airport they were allowed to go to a city hotel under guard -- where, the following morning, they were confronted with a demonstration by expatriot Cubans living in the United States.
By then, urgent inter-government negotiations were in progress between Washington, Switzerland--which handles U.S. affairs in Cuba--and the Cubana government. The Cuban technologists were still demanding to attend the sugar conference as representatives, they said, of the largest sugar-producing country in the world--and the pilot of their Cubana airlines aircraft refused to allow his machine to be refuelled. One U.S. Immigration Officer said the affair was "the most bizarre" he had ever handled.