Britain, Malta and NATO tonight (Wednesday) ended 3 1/2 hours of talks on the future of Britain's military presence on the island.
Britain, Malta and NATO tonight (Wednesday) ended 3 1/2 hours of talks on the future of Britain's military presence on the island. The delegates announced alight progress and planned to meet again on Thursday.
Maltese Prime Minister Dom Minteff told reporters after the meeting: "We have gone up another stop--we hope an agreement is possible." But he added that goodwill was needed on all sides to reach an agreement. "There is a hundred per cent goodwill on our side. We are not certain about the British side."
British Defence Secretary Lord Carrington would only say that a little progress had been made and that another meeting would be held in the morning.
NATO Secretary-General Dr. Joseph Luns, who took part in today's talks with Italian Foreign Minister Aldo More, said afterwards that his task was finished and he would be returning to Brussels.