The village of Nhacombo in the Tete province of Mozambique has been the victim of a savage raid -- allegedly by guerrillas of the Mozambique Liberation Front (Frelimo).
The village of Nhacombo in the Tete province of Mozambique has been the victim of a savage raid -- allegedly by guerrillas of the Mozambique Liberation Front (Frelimo). a Portuguese military spokesman said that at least thirty civilians were killed and eighteen wounded.
When journalists visited the village on Sunday (January 13) there were still many tragic sins of the raid. The school -- the only stone building in the village -- was charred wreck and around one hundred of the 160 huts were destroyed. The village lies in an area bitterly contested by Portuguese troops and Frelimo guerrillas. Portuguese troops are now guarding the village and hunting the attackers.
Some villagers told reporters that the village had been shelled twice before. Then they had gone into underground shelters and had not been harmed, but this time the shelling was followed by a frenzied attack. The village headman said that some of the attackers shouted, "You are going to die for choosing to stay with the Portuguese." A young woman told reporters from her hospital" bet that she was wounded in the leg when she tried to shield her baby sons. She raid her husband died in the raid and told her, 'Frelimo shot me'.
The Portuguese authorities have produced evidence that Frelimo mounted this raid and other attacks on civilians in the area. but a spokesman for the Committee for the Freedom of Mozambique, Angola and Guinea said in London there was no 'objective evidence' that Frelimo had committed terrorists acts against the civilian population. In 1972 newspapers carried reports that 400 Africans has been killed in Tele province, by Portuguese troops.