Arab heads of state left Cairo on Wednesday (27 October) at the conclusion of a two-day summit meeting in the Egyptian capital on the Lebanon.
Arab heads of state left Cairo on Wednesday (27 October) at the conclusion of a two-day summit meeting in the Egyptian capital on the Lebanon. The meeting voted to establish a 30,000-strong peace-keeping force in Lebanon.
SYNOPSIS: One of the first to leave was Sudanese President General Ja'afer al-Nimeiry. He was seen off by President Anwar Sadat of Egypt. The Sudan is one of seven countries which will contribute troops to the force.
The extract make-up of the future force will be left to its proposed commander-in-chief, President Elias Sarkis of Lebanon. Mr. Sarkis told the summit the "spectre of foreign occupation had now been removed from Lebanon". Syria, which already has more than 20,000 troops int he country, is expected to provide most of the force. Qatar, led by Sheik Khalifa bin-Hamad, supported the peace-keeping plan, and is reported to have contributed 6.5 million U.S. dollars GBP4 million sterling) towards its cost.
Jordan's King Hussein was also at the Cairo summit which discussed a peace package worked out a week earlier in the Saudi Arabian capital. Representatives of Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Lebanon, Kuwait, Syria and the PLO were at the Riyadh conference.
The day before, details of the agreement on the peace-keeping force were announced at a news conference at the Arab League headquarters. Arab League Secretary General, Mr. Mahmoud Riad, said seven countries had agreed to provide troops - Syria, North Yemen, South Yemen, the United Arab Emirates, Sudan, Saudi arabia and Libya. He did not say how many troops each country had offered. During the summit, the Palestinians demanded that Syria should not provide more than a third of the force.