Additional info. Manager says a great number of shareholders live in FRANCE. Nine has in?
At the mine. Reduction works nearly at standstill 3 angles with No. 1. shaft the one in the background.
* No. 1. shaft sign with headgear on right.
* Trading shops already closed down.
* Beware train sign on road.
* Beware Natives Crossing sign on road.
* Biggest shaft is South Deep, over to there now
* Headgear of shaft, 200 feet high, from winding
* Winder Mr Munn leaves winding house closes door behind him.
* Same walks down steps of winding house.
* Sheaves on top of headgear working and stopping (last time)
View of some of the mine property from above with mine dump.
European miners come up for the last time, leaving the skip etc.
* African miners come up after the whites also for last time and show some happiness. several shots.
* Railway engine S@J No. 1. working since 1929 goes on its last run with ore, Nine manager Mr. C.O. Deane sees the driver on his way, driver Mr Mouton, various shots of loco and train on way.
Headgear one last shot. ends.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Additional info. Manager says a great number of shareholders live in FRANCE. Nine has in its life had 26 shafts, mined to a maximum depth of 8475 feet. as it closes has 115 white 1040 african workers who will all be absorbed into other mining work, at its peak had 1400. whites and 14000 africans on payroll. Produced famous rugby fullback Douglas Norkel still known in France were he kicked a famous goal. Despite governments recent cheap loan scheme to help old mines this one is to much of a gamble to carry on with more development. More info in press cuttings enclosed.