Roberto Holden 36, leader of the Angolan People's Union, backing the Angolan rebels from the Congo, called a press conference at his headquarters in Leopoldville, Congo, May 20, to announce he was planning a counter to the new Portuguese offensive expected towards the end of this month.
SLV EXT..Of U.P.A. headquarters.
MV INT.. "Rebel" President Holden with colleagues.
CU Member of party.
CU Holden speaks.
SV EXT..Holden emerges from H.C. to applauding Africans.
SCU Applauding Africans.
MV Holden wand applauding Africans.
SV "Rebels" Vice-President Rosario Neto at desk working on propaganda material.
SV Workers in office.
CU Duplicator at work.
CU Propaganda leaflets handled.
MV Worker handling leaflets.
SV U.P.A. conference with Holden presiding.
MV Holden and aides.
CU Back view..members
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Roberto Holden 36, leader of the Angolan People's Union, backing the Angolan rebels from the Congo, called a press conference at his headquarters in Leopoldville, Congo, May 20, to announce he was planning a counter to the new Portuguese offensive expected towards the end of this month.
He claims to have 50,000 Angolan nationalists under his banner. His rebels were receiving no military help from outside sources. They were using weapons stolen from the Portuguese, he said.
He also claimed that 25,000 Angolans had been killed by the Portuguese including hundreds of women and children. Thirty villages had been destroyed by the Portuguese, he said.
He also said: "So far we have killed about 2,000 Portuguese. This includes women and children. It is not good to do these things, but they have killed and burned our children and I cannot stop my people after they have seen these things done".
Meanwhile 60,000 Angolan refugees are now in Congolese villages just south of the River Congo port of Matadi. Many are seriously ill from hunger.
In Luanda, Angola's capital, more troop reinforcements to treble the 8,000-strong garrison are expected soon from Portugal.