In Algiers, a spokesman for the Polisario Front has accused Morocco's King Hassan of deliberately escalating the war against Algeria and the people of the Western Sahara.
In Algiers, a spokesman for the Polisario Front has accused Morocco's King Hassan of deliberately escalating the war against Algeria and the people of the Western Sahara. This follows allegations by Morocco-- in the United Nations on Tuesday (20 June) -- that Algeria was committing acts of aggression against Morocco. In the United Nations Security Council the following day (21 June), Algeria emphatically denied the charges, saying the Algerian Army had never crossed the Moroccan border. This denial was reinforced on Saturday(23 June), by a spokesman for the Polisario Front, Monsieur Abou Seddik Ketouni.
SYNOPSIS: Monsieur Ketouni spoke to newsmen at the villa Bou Maref in Algeria, the headquarters of the Liberation Movement for the People of the Sahara.
Monsieur Ketouni said King Hassan was escalating a political, military and verbal barrage against Algiers after he gave his troops broad rights in the name of Moroccan security.
He said these rights meant increased aggression towards Algeria and the right to follow what King Hassan called the Polisario mercenaries into Algerian territory. According to King Hassan, the Polisario are armed, oriented and manipulated by the algerians.
But, Monsieur Ketouni said, everyone knew that this was false. The people of the Sahara exist in their own territory, he said. They would go to any length to impose a solution -- military, tactical and operational -- against the power of King Hassan.
Monsieur Ketouni said the verbal battle about Saharan rights would be continued in the U.N. where the Foreign Minister of the Polisario Front, Hakim Brahim, had been invited to speak. Shortly after the conference ended Mr. Brahim flew to New York. He is expected to address the Security Council shortly.