President Mobutu Sese Seko of Zaire has returned from three days of talks with Sudanese and Saudi Arabian leaders.
President Mobutu Sese Seko of Zaire has returned from three days of talks with Sudanese and Saudi Arabian leaders. On Friday (22 July) he briefly visited Nairobi in Kenya before returning to Kinshasa.
SYNOPSIS: President Mobutu was met at Nairobi airport by Kenya's Minister for foreign Affairs, Dr. Munyua Government officials and diplomats. Before President Mobutu left for Sudan and Saudi Arabia, he said the two countries had been among those who had supplied military, moral and financial did to Zaire during recent fighting against rebels in Shaba Province -- formerly Katanga.
In March a force of some 1,500 led by Katangese militiamen invaded the province from neighbouring Angola. Zairean Government forces backed by troops from Morocco and supplies from other countries including the United States fought them for two months. The United States said it had sent what is described as "non-lethal" aid. France supplied aircraft to fly in Moroccan troops, and other African and Middle East countries offered support.
Following the fighting in Shaba Province, President Mobutu was reported to have retired 28 senior officers in a sweeping military re-organisation. Two colonels among their number were reported to have been reduced to the ranks and place at the disposition of the military courts. President Mobutu described the invasion as a Soviet-Cuban plot.