HMS "ASHANTI" a tribal class frigate arrived today on a courtesy visit, on the eve of Prince Philip's visit.
- Ashanti anchored slightly off shore.
- Ship's emmissary arrives by launch, disembarks and met by embassy civilian.
- Cargo ships at piers. Jeddah only has 2 piers.
- Ashanti. She has a helicopter on deck.
- Bugler...to alert when VIP launch appears.
- Launch appears.
- Ambassador Morgan Man and 2 Saudis board ship and meet Capt. James Arthur Thackwell. Saudis are: Deputy to governor of Jeddah Sheikh Humayid Hamadi Ibn Saad (not Saud), and Deputy governor of the western province Sheikh Ibrahim Ben Ibrahim.
- VIPs review guard of honour.
- Saluting next to ship's bell is Midshipman Lawrence AWUKU, of the Ghanaian navy. He is an Ashanti...A tribe in Ghana.
- Frigate "Ashanti".
- 2 sailors taking pix with a Jeddah mosque in BC. Typical houses in area.
- 2 Saudis talking together.
NB. SHIP IS FROM PERSIAN GULF SQUADRON
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: HMS "ASHANTI" a tribal class frigate arrived today on a courtesy visit, on the eve of Prince Philip's visit.This is the first time in 14 years that a British warship has called here.Saudi Arabia broke off diplomatic relations with Britain in 1956 subsequent to the Suez war.(In naval circles it is believed that the last ship to call here was the destroyer "Chequers" and that Prince Philip was serving aboard as a lieutenant....this needs checking.2 Saudi dignitaries came calling aboard in the company of the British ambassador.2 of the ship's crew visited the town.40 others went swimming, but these were not filmed; they were not in uniform.