In Tunis, July 4, the Minister of Information of the so-called provisional Algerian Government, M.?
In Tunis, July 4, the Minister of Information of the so-called provisional Algerian Government, M. Yazid, handed local and foreign press representatives the text of a communique issued by FLN "Premier" Ferhat Abbas at the end of discussions in Tunis, following the visit of FLN emissaries to France.
Summing up the FLN leaders' views on the results of their probe for proper cease-fire talks in Paris, the statement says that, in the present circumstances, the arrival in france of a "delegation of the provisional Government of the Algerian Republic" is not "opportune". If, however, the French Government were to agree that the status of the delegations at the cease-fire talks was not a matter for unilateral - and thus French - decision, then the Algerian "Government" would be ready to send its emissaries to France for a second visit.
The Tunis statement further says that the FLN "pre-negotiators" found themselves, when they arrived at the Melun talks, confronted with a series of conditions for the full cease-fire talks, which had already been drawn up by the French unilaterally. According to the Algerians, the French Government demurred in the face of all suggestions, even the most conciliatory ones. Thus, the Algerians say, the French attitude constitutes a refusal to negotiate and a desire to impose a capitulation.
In a broadcast in Tunis, July 5, Ferhat Abbas reiterated the FLN views on the Melun talks. It was logical, he said, that the conditions and details of a cease-fire meeting should be worked out by mutual agreement, "but the French Government do not see it that way, they want to dictate the conditions to us".