La Espanada won the Argentinian Polo Championships final by beating defending champions Indios Chapaleufu 14-8 at Palermo on December 8.
1. SV PULL OUT TO GV Military brass band marching past 0.12
2. SVs Flag carrier on horseback (3 shots) 0.27
3. GV Trophies to be won, on display 0.29
4. SV PULL BACK TO GV Crowd cheers, holding banners, before team at start of match 0.37
5. SVs March in progress, with defending champions Indios Chapaleufu (in red) scoring. Crowd applauds. (2 shots) 0.49
6. SV La Espanada team (in blue) score) 1.01
7. SVs Indios players foul opponent; referee awards penalty to Espanada, who score; crowd applauds (4 shots) 1.20
8. GV Espanada attack and score 1.33
9. SVs Indios attack and score as crowd applauds (2 shots) 1.43
10. SV Indios attack again and score 1.55
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: PALERMO, ARGENTINA
La Espanada won the Argentinian Polo Championships final by beating defending champions Indios Chapaleufu 14-8 at Palermo on December 8. Alfonso Pieres and Gonzalo Pieres led the onslaught for Espanada -- with Alfonso scoring a double hat trick and Gonzalo beating him by one to notch up half his team's score. Ernesto Trotz added the other Espanada goal. No one could match the Pieres' achievement for Indios Chapaleufu and their core card was more evenly spread -- with one from Horacio Hegui, two from Gonzalo Hegui and two from Alberto Hegui. Horacio Hegui Junior did however, manage to outshine his father by netting a hat trick. The championships is one of the most enduring events in the Argentine sporting calendar -- having been played every year since 1893. The Coronel Suarez team has the best record 00 with 26 victories since the event began, but they were beaten this year by the losing finalists.
Source: REUTERS - HECTOR LOPEZ