• Short Summary

    Sydney Cricket Ground was packed with a record Rugby crowd of nearly 46-thousand for the first Rugby Union Test between Australia and South Africa.

  • Description

    3 ft

    5 ft

    Aust. up to line - scrum (10) & S. Africa clear.
    18 ft

    19 ft

    Elwood kicks (score 3-nil)
    22 ft

    scoreboard 3-0
    24 ft

    RA Elwood again (score 6-nil)
    28 1/2 ft

    30 ft

    scrum -- Catchpole pass to Lenehan
    39 ft

    40 ft

    Boyce kept out
    45 ft

    46 1/2 ft

    GV play
    53 1/2 ft

    crowd yells
    55 ft

    Englebrecht away (over the line at 58)
    60 ft

    Naude kicks
    63 ft

    scoreboard 5-9
    65 ft

    Elwood goals
    68 ft

    Ambulance men attend Hawthorne
    72 ft

    73 1/2 ft

    Hawthorne back in game
    77 1/2 ft

    GV S. African backs attack - no try
    83 1/2 ft

    85 ft

    Aust. attack, ball around
    92 1/2 ft

    93 ft

    Boyce kicks (96') Over at 98 1/2
    104 ft

    Naude kicks goal
    107 1/2 ft

    score 18-8
    109 ft

    Ruck. Smith gets (111) & over at 114
    117 ft

    kids on -- GV players
    122 ft



    Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved

    Background: Sydney Cricket Ground was packed with a record Rugby crowd of nearly 46-thousand for the first Rugby Union Test between Australia and South Africa.Australia, in the light jerseys, took the offensive immediately.

    A scrum on the Springbok' line - under extreme pressure from the Australians, and Smith clears with Wilson kicking touch.

    A penalty - and Elwood puts it over for the first score in the match.South Africa was penalised about three times as often as the Wallabies - and Elwood was busy.Two penalty goals to Australia.Wallabies leading six-nil.

    Australia kept on the pressure.A scrum jus out from the South African line.

    Catchpole by-passes his inside backs, and sends the ball to Lenehan.Lenehan scores the first try of the match.

    Australia kept on hounding the Springbok line.Here, Stuart Boyce makes a determined bid to crash across the line, but just fails.

    At no point was the match easy.The forwards bulldozed each other trying to make breaks for the three-quarter lines.

    But South African made a break.Englebrecht broke away after his 5-8 had kicked ahead.He touched down under the Australian posts.

    Tiny Naude converted.Australia now leads nine to five.

    Beres Elwood goals again for Australia , after the half time bell.But Phil Hawthorne, the young 5-8 has been hurt.

    The second half, and Hawthorne, with his head bandaged, returns to the game.With Ken Catchpole the half-back, he spearheaded the Wallabies' victory.

    South Africa came into the second half with a determination to win.

    The Australian three-quarter line, with their superior speed and handling, pierced the Springboks' defence, only to be blocked.

    Stuart Boyce kicks ahead.The Australian winger pounds through after the ball, outpacing the South African defence.Over the line, he falls on the ball for Australia's second try.Australia leads 18 to 5.

    Naude again - and another three points to the Springboks.

    The final bell has gone, but play continues.Smith takes the ball round the back of the scrum, givers it to Englebrecht, and another try.

    The match was over.Australian had won by 18 points to South Africa's eleven.It was the first time the Australian Rugby side had beaten South Africa on Australian ground.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    Media URN:
    Reuters - Source to be Verified
    Issue Date:
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Black & White
    Time in/Out:

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment