There is big trouble in the North of Cyprus, where Turkish jets are still operating.?
Roll No. 1
- Danish UN in swimsuits (one in a ca) in FG and in BG a Turkish apartment block, used as a gun position by Turks. There is a Turkish flag atop it. Danes stood ground barehanded though turks kept firing very close to them at a Greek villa next door...which we could not see.
- More Danes around pool, in BG the Ledra Palace.
- Dane sentry atop Ledra Palace roof.
- A while later, a Greek Cypriot Morris 1100 comes tearing to a stop besides a Greek ambulance at the back of the Hotel, but decides not to transfer its wounded passenger...brought out from the villa that the Turks had shot up...and tears off towards the hospital.
- The ambulance reloads its unused stretcher.
- 10 feet of the Greek Jet buzzing Nicosia at sunset.
The Ledra Palace is smack on the Green Line.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: There is big trouble in the North of Cyprus, where Turkish jets are still operating. But the area is blocked off for the Press. In Nicosia machine gun fire continues to be exchanged between Greek and Turkish Cypriots. Whilst the UN Force merely observes. A Greek Cypriot was badly shot up by Turkish Bren fire just at the back of the Ledra Palace Hotel next to its newly opened swimming pool. The only bathers today were the "Blue Berets". At sunset a Greek Air Force Jet buzzed Nicosia, and established that the Greek Air Force had come to the Island, in undisclosed numbers, and would for the moment be based here. Greek Cypriot Forces were thoroughly delighted by Greece's positive stand, and for a few moments increased their firing at Turk positions along the Green Line.