KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA
China crushed England 5-0 in the Uber Cup in Kuala Lumpur on May 17, to become world team champions.
KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA
UBER CUP FINAL. CHINA v ENGLAND, MAY 17
HAN AIPING v SALLY PODGER
1. CUs Han Aiping serving and GV play, Han Aiping winning point (2 SHOTS) 0.25
2. CU Podger 0.26
3. CU Han Aiping serving and winning match 7-11, 11-3, 11-6 (2 SHOTS) 0.44
4. SV Spectators 0.46
ZHANG AILING v GILLIAN GOWERS
5. CUs & GVs Zhang Ailing serving and winning point, CU Gowers and Zhang Ailing serving and winning match 11-7, 11-1 (5 SHOTS) 1.08
6. LVs Raja Permaisuri Agong applauding as Chinese team wave (2 SHOTS) 1.12
7. SV China's deputy chief coach Chen Fu Show receives trophy from Raja and holds aloft to cheering crowds 1.18
THOMAS CUP. CHINA v INDONESIA MAY 18 & 19
LEIM SWIE KING (INDONESIA) v LUAN JIN
8. CUs & GV Luan Jin serving for match which he wins after long rally 7-15, 15-11, 15-10, (4 SHOTS) 1.53
9. GV Spectators cheering 2.00
HASTOMO ARBI (INDONESIA) v HAN JIAN
10. CUs & GV Hastomo Arbi serving for match and wins after brilliant rally, players shake hands and walk off, score 14-17, 15-6, 15-8 (3 SHOTS) 2.24
CHRISTIAN HADINATA AND HADIBONO SUTANTO (INDONESIA) v HE SHANGGUAN AND JINA GUOLIANG
11. SVs Hadibono Suntanto serving and GV match in progress, Hadibono Sutanto wins rally with cross-court drop shot (3 SHOTS) 2.41
12. CUs Hadibono Sutanto serving and GV match in progress, Hadibono Sutanto wins match with shot down middle of the court score 18-14, 15-10 (2 SHOTS) 2.49
13. GVs Spectators cheering as players shake hands and walk off (2 SHOTS) 2.55
LIEM SWIE KING AND KARTONO HARIATMANTO (INDONESIA) v SUN ZHIAN AND TIAN ???
14. CUs Liem Swie serving and winning the match when Chinese hit the shuttle out, score 18-14, 15-12 (3 SHOTS) 3.11
15. GV Indonesian coach Rudi Hartono receives trophy and holds aloft 3.18
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA
China crushed England 5-0 in the Uber Cup in Kuala Lumpur on May 17, to become world team champions. This was the first time China had competed in the Uber Cup, and the team emerged unbeaten, defeating Japan, Denmark and Indonesia in the preliminary round, and thrashing South Korea 5-0 in the semi-final. In the first match, Li Lingwei won in fine style against European champion Helen Troke. Later Han Aiping took on Sally Podger. Podger broke through to win the first game before going down. 11-7, 3-11, 6-11 to the Chinese player. Zhang Ailing gave China an unbeatable lead with an effortless, 12 minute 11-7, 11-1 victory over Gillian Gowers. In the doubles matches, the Chinese paris conceded only one game between them.
The Chinese fortunes did not last into the Thomas Cup men's finals on May 18, when Indonesia defeated them 3-2. China made a promising start when Luan Jin smashed through Liem Swie King's defences to win 7-15, 15-11, 15-10. But Hastomo Arbi turned the tide for Indonesia in his 14-17, 15-6, 16-8 victory over Han Jian. The Indonesian, who had banned for a year for taking drugs at the All-England championship two year ago, played brilliantly. Then Icuk Sugiarto lost 9-15, 15-10 to Yang Yang, leaving Indonesia 1-2 down to China In a doubles match, Christian Hadinata and Hadibono Sutanto fought He Shangguan and Jian Guoliang to equalise with a score of 18-14, 15-10. In the final, decisive match, Indonesia's Liem Swie King was able to redeem his earlier defeat. Partnering Kartono Hariatmono, in a match which continued past midnight, he beat Sun Zhian and Tian Bingyi 18-14, 15-12 to clinch Indonesia's eighth victory for the men's Thomas Cup title.