Stirling Moss, Britain's ace race driver, examined long-legged graceful Penelope Coelen, this year's Miss World, on her qualities...
1. GV. EXTERIOR EARL'S COURT EXHIBITION.
2. LV. INTERIOR - CARS ON SHOW.
3. LV. AUSTIN A.40. STAND.
4. SV. AUSTIN A.40.
5. LV. HILLMAN STAND.
6. CU. FRONT OF HILLMAN CAR.
7. LV. HUMBER SNIPE STAND.
8. SV. HUMBER SNIPE CAR.
9. SV. REAR OF CHEVROLET.
10. CU. HAND PRESSES BUTTONS ON DOOR.
11. SV. HOOD RAISED ELECTRICALLY.
12. CU. SEAT MOVES FORWARD ELECTRICALLY.
13. SV. PEOPLE LOOKING ON TO RENAULT CAR.
14. SCU. MISS FRANCE 1958 SEATED IN RENAULT CAR.
15. SV.M.G.A. CAR ON TURNTABLE.
16. CU. SHOWING DISC BRAKES.
17. LV. PORSCHE CAR.
18. SCU. REAR SHOWING ENGINE IN REAR.
19. LV. ASTON MARTIN ON TURNTABLE.
20. CU.PAN UP FRONT OF ASTON MARTIN.
21. LV. WOMAN GETS INTO FRAZER NASH.
22. SV. REAR OF LOTUS ELITE.
23. LOTUS ELITE ON TURNTABLE.
29. FRONT V. PAN UP DITTO.
30. SV. REMOVING HOOD.
31. SHOT LOOKING INTO DRIVER'S SEAT OF BRISTOL.
32. LV. RAISING WHOLE FRONT OF JENSEN CAR.
33. SV. SHOWING FRONT RAISED.
34. LV. JAGUAR CAR.
35. SCU. OPENING BONNET.
36. CU. ENGINE.
37. LV. EXT EXHIBITION HALL PAN DOWN TO STIRLING MOSS WITH BEAUTY QUEENS.
38. Side V. STIRLING MOSS AND GIRLS.
39. CU. STIRLING MOSS.
40. LV. MOSS AND BEAUTY GET INTO SMALL CAR.
41. CU. MOSS IN CAR - SIGNALS TO START DRIVING.
42. SV. SMALL CAR MOVES OFF - BEAUTY QUEEN DRIVING.
43. CU. BEAUTY QUEEN DRIVING.
44. SV. MOSS SHAKING HANDS WITH GIRLS.
45. CU. MOSS AND WINNER OF DRIVING CONTEST.
Background: Stirling Moss, Britain's ace race driver, examined long-legged graceful Penelope Coelen, this year's Miss World, on her qualities...for driving on preview day at the 43rd International Motor Show October 21, then voted her this year's "Driving Princess 1/2"
Moss, better at home on international circuits faced up well to the highly-competitive lines of the international collection of glamour girls taking part in the test in London traffic.
Next to Miss World of South Africa for driving prowess was Miss Holland, 19 year old brunette Lucienne Struve, who with other entering beauty queens was tested in the new 600 cc German NSU sports Prince.
Eighteen year old Miss World's regard for her driving abilities: GBP50, a holiday in Germany and a drive back to Britain in a new Prince. All good for publicity on the attractions of both Miss World and the Prince. But British car company neatly jumped the gun last week with the gift of an MG sports model to her for winning the Miss World title.
This year's motor show came at a time when the British motor industry celebrated the biggest boom in its history. The industry sped along Progress Road by topping all exports to the U.S., displacing West Germany's lead.
The show, opening tomorrow October 22, was claimed to be the most international as well as the biggest on record. The organisers, the British Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, put their heads together, decided this year's show would accent colour - to catch the feminine eye noted for exerting influence on the masculine wallet.
Over 200 new cars by British makers and from the factories of France, West Germany, Italy, Sweden, Holland, Czechoslovakia, the U.S. and Canada were on the stands.
Eager buyers waited on the tail of newscameramen after preview day prepared to spend millions of pounds on the latest British cars now being turned out at the rate of 20,000 a week. Over a half million visitors were expected in the next two weeks.
WORLD'S FASTEST IN SPORTS CARS
Visnews filmed nine of this year's fastest sports production models in the world. Shown in Britain for the first time: the Aston Martin DB4, two-door, four-seater sports saloon (GBP2,650 plus GBP1,326 U.K. tax) claimed to accelerate from nought to 100 mph and stop again in less than half a minute. Its top speed is 140 mph. Its body looks like a mouthwatering thoroughbred styled by Touring of Milan. Safety features include a full wrapped-round windscreen, reinforced chassis side-members for protection against side-swiping accidents, a rubber padded facia and an absence of interior protruding parts.