Doctors at the Royal Adelaide Hospital said this evening (25.9.63) there had been a slight improvement in the condition of a leading cancer research worker who received severe burns from an explosion last night in a laboratory at the University of Adelaide.
Doctors at the Royal Adelaide Hospital said this evening (25.9.63) there had been a slight improvement in the condition of a leading cancer research worker who received severe burns from an explosion last night in a laboratory at the University of Adelaide. However, the injured man, Professor r.k. Morton, was still dangerously ill. He is under constant medical attention from senior staff members of the hospital. Professor Morton is the Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Adelaide. The explosion occurred in this building where Professor Morton was engaged in major cancer research projects. Detectives of the C.I.B. scientific squad returned to the scene today to continue their investigations in the damaged laboratory.
The room had been closed until detectives had completed their investigations inside. The University's Registrar, Mr. Edgelow, said today the explosion was the first serious accident at the University for as long as could be remembered. He described Professor Morton as a distinguished scientist working on very interesting aspects of cancer research.
Doctor R. H. Symons, a lecturer, received minor burns to his hands when he went to the assistance of Professor Morton and a laboratory assistant, Mr. M. Dohnt. This was where the explosion occurred.
A spokesman for the Anti Cancer Foundation said today that Professor Morton had been studying enzymes in the nucleus of cells in general, and the way in which they varied in cancer cells as compared with normal ones.
This pullover was worn by Mr. Dohnt, who was admitted to the Royal Adelaide Hospital in a serious condition. Doctors said today that he was improving. One theory is that this radiator might have caused the explosion. it's believed that it came in contact with liquid acetone which is used for cleaning equipment.