INTRODUCTION: The Soviet Prime Minister, Nikolai Tikhonov, has been on a goodwill mission to Hungary.
1. CU Tikhonov talking to Hungarian Prime Minister Lazar and officials at airport 0.08
2. SV PAN Tikhonov and welcoming party walk across tarmac 0.14
3. GV PAN March past by soldiers, salute taken by Tikhonov and Lazar 0.30
4. SV Soldiers march wreath to memorial, followed by Tikhonov, who takes part in ceremony at Hungarian Heros Monument 0.53
5. GV Memorial with flags 0.56
6. SV Soldiers marching with wreath, Tikhonov salutes as wreath laid on memorial at Soviet Hero's Monument (3 shots) 1.20
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: BUDAPEST, HUNGARY
INTRODUCTION: The Soviet Prime Minister, Nikolai Tikhonov, has been on a goodwill mission to Hungary. Officially described as 'a friendly visit' Mr. Tikhonov took part in a series of economic talks and also met with Hungarian Communist party leader, Janos Kadar.
SYNOPSIS: Waiting to meet Mr. Tikhonov at Budapest airport, on Monday (7 December) was the Hungarian Prime Minister Gyorgy Lazar and other high ranking government officials.
Then followed the customary military welcome for a visiting head of state. A guard of honour performed the traditional march past with both Mr. Tikhonov and Mr. Lazar taking the salute.
The first official duty for the visiting Soviet Prime Minister was the laying of wreaths at two war memorials in Budapest. In Hero's Quare, the ceremony was conducted at the Hungarian Hero's Monument. This was followed by an identical parade in Liberty Square at the site of the Soviet Hero's Monument.
Since the end of the Second World War, Moscow and Budapest have forged strong trading links, with more than 30 per cent of Hungary's foreign trade now transacted with the Soviet Union. Export goods include machinery, chemical products and consumer items. During the visit, Mr. Tikhonov discussed international political issues with the Hungarian Communist Party. The Soviet Prime Minister returned to Moscow on Thursday (10 December).
Source: MAGYAR TELEVISION