Indonesian Foreign Minister, Mr. Adam Malik, has claimed he has evidence that Australian sympathisers are?
SV Interviewer talking to Mr. Malik (SILENT)
Mr. Malik interviewed by reporter Tony Joyce (SOUND)
REPORTER: "You've said you've found it hard not to believe that Australia has been supporting Fretelin. What made you say that?"
MALIK: "No, I did not want to make a debate out of this, but the word is now that Fretelin gets the (indistinct) in Darwin and Fretelin got support from Australia. I did not say it was from the government, but it has got moral support."
REPORTER: "It's just moral support though, that Fretelin got, you say?"
MALIK: "No, no."
REPORTER: "You say there's more than just moral support?"
MALIK: "Yes more, we have the evidence now."
REPORTER: "What sort of support?"
MALIK: "They have support not only from the propaganda, but also arms from there. But small things."
REPORTER: "Do you think Australian arms have been used?"
MALIK: "No, I did not say that, not the Australian government, but from Australia, from Darwin."
REPORTER: "From sympathisers, in Australia?"
MALIK: "Of course, the small arms, I mean, not yet too dangerous for us but that's the beginning. That's dangerous if they continue that."
REPORTER: "Why has this evidence not been presented to the Australian government?"
MALIK: "No, we will give this evidence, and after, not only that. We've got a list of many foreign troops there, I mean they are all troopers."
REPORTER: "Are you saying there are Australian volunteers in East Timor?"
MALIK: "Oh maybe one or two, but that is not important."
REPORTER: "What was your reaction when Australia supported the United Nations General Assembly's resolution condemning Indonesian intervention and calling for the immediate withdrawal of your troops?"
MALIK: "Of course we have regret it, because we involved them very loosely and then afterward they changed their minds because we are not invade Timor."
MALIK INTERVIEWED BY REPORTER
Initials BB/1715 DE/PN/BB/1750
This film is serviced with an interview with Mr. Malik by A.B.C. reporter, Tony Joyce. A transcript appears below.
REPORTER: TONY JOYCE
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Indonesian Foreign Minister, Mr. Adam Malik, has claimed he has evidence that Australian sympathisers are helping the leftwing Fretelin independence movement (Revolutionary Front for an Independent East Timor) in the disputed East Timor territory.
Speaking to Australian Broadcasting Commission reporter Tony Joyce in the Indonesian capital, Djakarta recently, he gave no further details, apart from saying that light arms had been flown from the Northern Australian town of Darwin, to East Timor, where pro-Indonesian forces, supported by Indonesian "volunteers", took control two weeks ago.
Asked about the possibility of a United Nations peace-keeping force being sent to East Timor, he said there was no point, as peace and order had already been established.
Mr. Malik, said that the pro-Indonesian Apodeti party and other pro-Djakarta groups which have set up a provisional Government in the colony, would invite a United Nations fact-finding tour to visit East Timor, perhaps in a year's time.
But, in spite of Mr. Malik's claims, pro-Indonesian forces asked Indonesia for more troops to restore order on Wednesday (24 December).
The semi-official Antara news agency appealed for help against "terrorist remnants left by the Portuguese Government".
Mr. Malik said the evidence of the light arms being supplied to Fretelin will be presented to the Australian Government, and he said that there are also some foreign troops present in East Timor.
Mr. Malik said Indonesia regretted Australia's support of the recent United Nations General Assembly resolution condemning his country's intervention and calling for the immediate withdrawal of Indonesian troops from East Timor.
SYNOPSIS: Indonesia's Foreign Minister, Adam Malik, has again accused Australian sympathisers of supplying arms to the Revolutionary Front for an independent East Timor (Fretelin).
Speaking to Australian Broadcasting Commission journalist, Tony Joyce, in Djakarta recently, Mr. Malik stressed that the Australian Government was not involved.