Iran and Iraq have issued claims and counter-claims over casualties in renewed clashes in the Gulf war.
1. SVs Dead Iranian soldiers. (2 SHOTS) 0.15
2. SV & PAN Injured Iranian prisoners and another body. 0.35
3. SV & PAN Doctor treating wounded soldiers and back to body and prisoners. 0.48
4. GV Prisoners seated, hands tied behind backs. (3 SHOTS) 1.36
5. SV PULL BACK TO GV Iraqi soldiers giving water and medical treatment. 1.45
6. GV Prisoners walking in file. 1.56
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: IRAN/IRAQ WARFRONT
Iran and Iraq have issued claims and counter-claims over casualties in renewed clashes in the Gulf war. After a relative lull in recent weeks, fierce fighting flared on April 10 when Iran launched a major new offensive at night in an area between Iraq's Misan province and the Iranian province of Ilam and Khuzestan, northwest of Ahwaz. Iraq, confirming the attack, said Iranian forces had advanced along a 30-kilometre (20-mile) front in the south-eastern border province of Misan. A military communique said most of the Iranian thrust had been beaten off but heavy fighting continued into April 11 on a 10-kilometre (six-mile) front. These pictures from the warfront by Iraqi TV were released as Iraq claimed to have captured 300 Iranians, saying the rest were either killed or had fled during battles between the border villages of Al-Eila and Zubeidat. In Iran, Teheran Radio said the offensive had recaptured several Iranian villages, three strategic heights and a military outpost which had been under Iraqi occupation since the Gulf was started in September 1980. Iran said 110 Iraqis had been captured with three-thousand Iraqi soldiers killed or wounded. The Iranian offensive has setback hopes that Iran and Iraq would agree a limited ceasefire to allow the capping of Iran's damaged Nowruz oil wells which have been leaking thousand of barrels of crude into the Gulf.