The South African Embassy's Director of Information in London, Mr. Chris Van der Walt, denied?
The South African Embassy's Director of Information in London, Mr. Chris Van der Walt, denied that there has been South African interference in British politics on Thursday (13 May). He called the allegations malicious.
Mr. van der Walt was replying in an exclusive interview with Visnews reporter, Peter Kimber, to charges that the South African government -- and/or South African "interests"--played a part in the fall of Liberal leader, Mr. Jeremy Thorpe. There are also allegations that the event leading to the arrest of anti-apartheid leader, Mr. Peter Hain, on a charge of shoplifting were stimulated by South African interest. Mr. Hain was acquitted.
Mr. van der Walt also accused the British Labour Member of Parliament, Mr. Paul Rose, of making malicious allegations. Earlier this week, Mr. Rose claimed that there was a South African - based conspiracy to discredit five Liberal members of parliament and two Labour cabinet ministers.
The latest claims were totally silly, said Mr. van der Walt. He said that all the allegations made over the past few months about alleged South African involvement in British politics had been clearly shown as untrue.
However, according to Reuters quoting Mr. Rose, the source of his allegations is a letter purporting to come from an unnamed underground South African opposition group. The letter follows similar allegations by Mr. Fouad Kamil, a former diamond-smuggling investigator for the multi-national Anglo-American Corporation.
The former British Prime Minister, Sir Harold Wilson, has also spoken of a conspiracy. However, he has stressed that he has found no evidence of South African government involvement.