The former famous motor racing track in West Berlin, the Avus Race Track, is now catering for more cars than ever.
The former famous motor racing track in West Berlin, the Avus Race Track, is now catering for more cars than ever. The track itself has been incorporated into the German autobahn (motorway) network.
The spectacular "north curve" under the "funkturm" the famous radio tower, has been dismantled. The stands are empty and long distance lorries park in the pits which were once used by famous international motor racing drivers. The Mercedes Tower - the finish line tower - is now used as a motel.
The track was opened in September 1921. Its name is an abbreviation of Automobile Verkehrs and Ubungs Strasses (motor traffic and practice road). The track consisted of parallel straights divided dangerously by a narrow centre strip with banked loops at either side.
In 1936-7 steeper banking was installed to replace the north loop. This reduced the track's length from 12.2 miles (19.3 kms) to 12 miles (19 kms). After the Second World War the original sector was in the Soviet sector so that an unbacked loop was substituted. The circuit length was therefor reduced to 5.2 miles (8.3 kms).
The track was the venue of the German Grand Prix in 1926 and 1959. It was also the site of many other big races including one shown in this film during the Second World War. It was attended by Hitler's propaganda chief, Josef Goebbels.
The track was disused after 1967