Ethiopian government troops have launched a three-pronged attack on secessionist forces in Eritrea. But according?
Ethiopian government troops have launched a three-pronged attack on secessionist forces in Eritrea. But according to a spokesman for the guerrilla movement, the attack has been stalled on the border. However they added that fighting was continuing near the Mareb river north of Aduwa in neighbouring Tigre province, at Adi Daro in central Liberation Front said nearly 1,000 Ethiopian troops had been killed in two of the battles. Ethiopian forces are also besieged in Asmara and the guerrilla spokesman said the fighting might intensify when the government troops try to break out of their enclaves.
SYNOPSIS: Meanwhile in Addis Ababa A 10-day seminar was held last week to review the problems of the Eritrean war. What emerged from the many speeches and discussion groups was that the Ethiopian leadership regards the secessionist forces as "reactionary".
One of the speakers was Lieutenant-Colonel Berhanu Bayih of the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs. He said that no effort had been spared to start dialogue with the separatists and that despite efforts at making contact none had been successful. However in Beirut on Thursday (29 June) two spokesmen for the Eritrean guerrilla organisation offered to start talks with the Ethiopian government with a view to ending the 17-year-old war. Both the Ethiopian government and the Eritrean rebels maintain a solidly Marxist line in all their public utterances. The Beirut news conference followed a secret trip to Moscow by Eritrean Liberation Front leader Ahmed Nasser and both the Soviet Union and Cuba are known to favour bringing the two sides to the conference table.