Nicaraguan rebel leader Eden Pastora, wounded in a bomb blast, arrived in Venezuela on June 2 after being deported from Costa Rica.
1. GV PAN Eden Pastor being put in ambulance. 0.10
2. GV Security men. 0.12
3. GV Reporters waiting at hospital. 0.14
4. GV "Tito" Chamorro being carried from ambulance. 0.26
5. GV Security men and doctors in hospital. 0.37
6. GV PAN Chamorro carried into hospital surrounded by guards. 0.52
NOTE TO EDITORS: VISNEWS APOLOGISES FOR THE POOR QUALITY OF PICTURES ON THIS ITEM.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
Nicaraguan rebel leader Eden Pastora, wounded in a bomb blast, arrived in Venezuela on June 2 after being deported from Costa Rica. He was taken from Caracas airport straight to hospital for treatment. Pastora was wounded in the bomb attack when giving a news conference at his Nicaraguan command post near the Costa Rica border on May 30. He was taken to hospital in Costa Rica, but was later deported. Diplomatic sources in San Jose said that, by deporting him, Costa Rica had shown its neutrality in the Nicaraguan conflict. A Venezuela government spokesman said Pastora, military commander of the anti-Sandinist Democratic Revolutionary Alliance (ARDE), had been allowed to come to Caracas on humanitarian grounds. Five people were killed and twenty-eight injured in the bomb blast. Pastora received burns and a leg wound, and he arrived in Caracas with his right arm heavily bandaged. He was taken to hospital with another injured ARDE colleague, "Tito" Chamorro. Pastora, who became known as "Commander Zero" during the 1979 Sandinist revolution, has a number of friends in Venezuela. He lived there for several years, and his associates include ex-president Carlos Perez who, according to diplomatic sources helped arrange his arrival on June 2. Venezuela, though critical of the leftist Nicaraguan government, is a member of the four-nation Contadora group promoting diplomatic initiatives in Central America. No-one had by June 2 claimed responsibility for the May 30 bomb blast, but a spokesman for ARDE, Carlos Prado, said the attack was probably carried out by a Nicaraguan government or a right-wing group.
Source: Channel 8, Venezuela