• Short Summary

    Tickets for the 1976 Olympic Games went on sale in Canada on Monday (5 May) and there was an immediate scramble for them.

  • Description

    1.
    CU Sign "Welcome to Eatons", people queuing outside (2 shots) (MUTE)
    0.13

    2.
    SV PAN People queuing inside (MUTE)
    0.30

    3.
    SV Official makes statement to people SOF IN "The DECISION.... SOF OUT ..... TOMORROW AND NOT TODAY."
    0.46

    4.
    SV People protesting loudly
    0.54


    TRANSCRIPT:



    SPOKESMAN: "The decision is being taken collectively. For our stores we receive orders from our central office that tickets will come from downtown, they will be released eventually tomorrow and not today."




    Initials BJB/0015 BJB/0045



    Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved

    Background: Tickets for the 1976 Olympic Games went on sale in Canada on Monday (5 May) and there was an immediate scramble for them.

    A box office official in Montreal who tried to pacify those who were unable to get any tickets after standing in the queue for hours was met with a torrent of abuse.

    This is, perhaps, just the beginning of dissatisfaction among sports fans wanting to watch the gala of sport events. Europe and the rest of the world are likely to join in the queue unsuccessfully.

    A leading British sports magazine reported that 85 per cent of the total of 5.4 million tickets available (less those of VIPs and competitors) are being reserved for Canada and the United States, leaving just 15 per cent for the rest of the world.

    The magazine went on to say that of this figure, Europe will receive seven and a half per cent which could mean that for example, no more than 600 Britons may receive sufficient tickets to watch the entire Games.

    The official reason for the allocation is that it is based on the population of each country, per capita income, number of competitors and the number of tourists from that country to visit quebec in 1973.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    VLVA3NELRHIKD28U93X7RH9J5OJOH
    Media URN:
    VLVA3NELRHIKD28U93X7RH9J5OJOH
    Group:
    Reuters - Source to be Verified
    Archive:
    Reuters
    Issue Date:
    07/05/1975
    Sound:
    Unknown
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Stock:
    Colour
    Duration:
    00:00:54:00
    Time in/Out:
    /
    Canister:
    N/A

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment