From a small forge in Essen, purchased in 1810 by a Friedrich Krupp, came the multi-million pound Krupp's Industrial Empire.
Ext. Views Of Essen and the Krupps factory.
Int. Views Of lathes in operation.
Int. Views Working with molten metal.
Scenes of partly completed heavy lorries.
Scenes of metal castings being shaped under pressure.
One scene of huge pistons.
Four scenes of gigantic crank shaft. (possibly for a ship)
Scenes of diesel trains nearing completion.
Ext.Views. The Krupps works silhouetted against the night sky.
Initials S-D M.R./P.B.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: From a small forge in Essen, purchased in 1810 by a Friedrich Krupp, came the multi-million pound Krupp's Industrial Empire. Originally interested in the problem of manufacturing cast steel, the Krupp's went on to armaments in 1847, when Alfred-----son of Friedrich---started production on a 3 pounder, muzzle-loading gun. In 1951 he exhibited a solid, flawless ingot of cast steel weighing two tons at the Great Exhibition in London.
This exhibit caused a sensation in the industrial world, and the Essen works sprang into fame. Another successful invention, the manufacture of weldless steel tyres for railway vehicles, was introduced soon afterwards. The profits derived from these and other steel manufactures were devoted to the expansion and development of the artillery with which the name of Krupp is especially associated.
The model settlement, which is one of the best known features of the Krupp's works, was started in the '60s, when difficulty began to be found in housing the increasing numbers of workmen; and now there are various "colonies", practically separate villages, dotted about the south and south-west of the town, with schools, libraries, recreation grounds, clubs, stores, etc.; and the latest of these housing estates is being built to accommodate the influx of workers to the recently constructed steel and diesel vehicles factory in Essen.
This gigantic faces of the Krupp's organisation is devoted to producing commodities and capital goods for peaceful purposes. Attached to the works is a housing estate including a large hospital. In spite of his declaration, on May 31--at the end of his Turkish tour--that, after the sad experience of two world wars, his firm and its employees had given up any idea of manufacturing war materials, the present head, Herr Krupp von Echlen, has signed agreements with the Turkish Government to improve the rikhale arms factory to provide small arms for the German Army.
Whilst in Turkey, Krupp von Bohlen stated that his firm is studying plans for supplying rolling stock, the construction of new railway lines linking Turkey and Pa???, the building of a bridge over the Boeporus and the mining of various minerals, all in Turkey.
More or less, the prosperity and progress of the Krupp's Empire is regarded as an economic index of the condition of German Industry as a whole. With orders pouring in from a great number of countries, Krupp's and Germany face fairly rosy prospects for the future.
Russia has signed an agreement with Krupp's for machinery necessary in the manufacture of synthetic thread; this order is valued at GBP1 1/2 million sterling, and is the largest order to have been awarded by the Soviet Union to any West German company since the war.
Feb. 14. saw Krupp and his British and Commonwealth representative in London, Count Ahlefedt, off on a tour of Ceylon, Australia and New Zealand. When he arrived in Melbourne, on Feb. 25th., several hundred Australians demonstrated at the air terminal, chanting. "Nazi Krupp". Later, when he reboard his Sydney-bound plane, Herr Krupp was again met by demonstrators telling him to go home.
When he was released from jail, in 1951, Herr Krupp was restored to full property rights. In 1953 he signed an agreement with the Western Allies promising to sell all his assets in the coal and iron and steel branches of his restored empire, by 1960. The GBP6 to 7 million resulting from the sale of these units would be given to Krupp on condition he applied them to peaceful purposes. In May 1957 the British Government sent a Note to the West German Government on this deconcentration of industry and eventually received a reply in April 1958. Herr Krupp also replied, at a Press Conference, saying that such decrees were intolerable and that the Federal Republic was a sovereign state and should not carry out measures contrary to the basic rights of the Republic. Herr Krupp made this statement knowing that the German Government, on being granted sovereign rights by the Allies, agreed to these conditions.