In the United Nations, there was a heated debate on Thursday (11 January) during the session of the Security Council to discuss the recent Vietnamese-backed invasion on Kampuchea (Cambodia).
In the United Nations, there was a heated debate on Thursday (11 January) during the session of the Security Council to discuss the recent Vietnamese-backed invasion on Kampuchea (Cambodia). Prince Norodom Sihanouk, the former Cambodian Head of State, was allowed to plead the cause of the ousted government of Pol Pot, which lodged the complaint with the United Nations on the third of January, that Vietnam had committed aggression against Cambodia.
SYNOPSIS: The decision to allow Prince Sihanouk to address the Security Council was taken in face of opposition from the Soviet and Czechoslovakian representatives. The Soviet Union claimed the insurgent regime of Heng Samrin was the only legitimate government of Cambodia, and that debate should be postponed until its delegation could be sent to New York. Prince Sihanouk called upon members of the Security council to deny recognition to the Heng Samrin regime, and to demand the unconditional withdrawal of all Vietnamese troops from Cambodian territory. He asked all governments to deny military aid to Cambodia if Vietnam continues so-called aggressive measures, and pleaded-for the Security Council to ensure a peaceful resolution of the issue.
Prince Sihanouk's argument was answered by Vietnam's UN representative, Mr. Ha Van Luu. He said the ruling body of Vietnam recognised the new government of Cambodia, and denied the right to rule of any other regime. He described Prince Sihanouk's assertions, and those of the Chinese representative, Chen Chu, opposing the Vietnamese take-over as "lies and slander". Mr. Ha accused the deposed President, Pol Pot, of turning the whole of Cambodia into a vast concentration camp, and termed the uprising as a movement of spontaneous reaction from within. He said Vietnam would start immediate negotiations with the new Cambodian government.
had been hit by terrorist bombs. Police chased one group of neo-fascist bombers and claim to have shot dead Alberto Gianquinto, aged eighteen, when he opened fire with a pistol.
In the other major terrorist incident on Wednesday night (10 January), Stefano Cecchetti, aged seventeen, was fatally wounded, and two of his companions shot and rushed to hospital, when they were caught in a left-wing ambush. The three were hit by gunfire from youths in a speeding car. An obscure left-wing group called the Organised Comrades for Communism later claimed responsibility for the attack. The victims are believed to have belonged to a neo-fascist group. The recent incidents in Rome have taken the death toll of those killed in terrorist attacks and political assassinations in Italy during the past four years to more than seventy.