The Zambian government spokesman confirmed on Sunday (4 November) that Zimbabwe Rhodesian troops had launched a raid in Southern Zambia earlier in the week, but he gave few details.
The Zambian government spokesman confirmed on Sunday (4 November) that Zimbabwe Rhodesian troops had launched a raid in Southern Zambia earlier in the week, but he gave few details. The attack took place as the Zimbabwe Rhodesia settlement talks in London went into their ninth week, with the Patriotic Front looking for major changes in British proposals to give legal independence to its rebel colony.
SYNOPSIS: Zimbabwe Rhodesian forces claim to have killed sixty Patriotic Front guerrillas and three Zambian civilians in a raid into Zambia. They struck about sixty miles (100 kilometres) into Zambia at a guerrilla base in a heavily populated area near Kalomo. Zambian officials confirmed the attack, but did not give casualty figures or say how long the incursion lasted.
The Zimbabwe Rhodesian Forces showed this evidence to newsmen and said their air and ground forces launched the attack against guerrillas of Joshua Nkomo's wing of the Patriotic Front, based in Zambia.
A Salisbury military spokesman told reporters that they had attacked what their intelligence reports said was a build-up of almost three hundred guerrillas. They allege they wee waiting to cross into Zimbabwe Rhodesia to join the seven year bush war. A Zambian spokesman did not say whether Zambian troops had taken part in the fighting.
The London peace talks remain stalled with Patriotic Front leaders, Mr. Nkomo and Mr. Robert Mugabe maintaining that the British proposed time period for campaigning for new elections -- two months -- is too short. They say it will take a long time to contact all the guerrillas who have been waging the bush war aimed at defeating the Salisbury government of Bishop bel Muzorewa. About one thousand people have been killed in the war since the London peace conference began on September the tenth.