In China, Vice-Chairman Deng Xiaoping, whose recent absence from public life has sparked rumours about his physical and political well-being, held two hours of talks with former Kampuchean head-of-state.
1. CU & SV Den Xiaoping being greeted by Prince Sihanouk (2 shots) 0.11
2. SVs Two men enter Peking's Great Hall of the People (2 shots) 0.28
3. SCU PULL BACK TO SV Deng and Sihanouk seated and talking in Hall ZOOM INTO SCU Deng 0.52
4. SCU PULL BACK TO SV Discussion continuing 1.01
5. GV Deng and Sihanouk with their wives 1.05
6. SCU Deng/SV Both men (2 shots) 1.13
7. SCU PULL BACK SV Two wives 1.21
8. SCU Deng and other members of Sihanouk's delegation (2 shots) 1.33
9. SCU Deng and Sihanouk PULL BACK OUT TO SV Both men (2 shots) 1.50
10. CU Deng 1.54
11. GV PAN Entire group in conversation 2.07
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: PEKING, CHINA
In China, Vice-Chairman Deng Xiaoping, whose recent absence from public life has sparked rumours about his physical and political well-being, held two hours of talks with former Kampuchean head-of-state. Prince Norodom Sihanouk, on Thursday (18 February). Officials in Peking had admitted that Mr. Deng had withdrawn from day-to-day political decision-making. Before his meeting with Prince Sihanouk in Peking's Great Hall of the People, the 77-year-old Chinese leader's last public appearance was on January the 12th. The talks with the Prince centred on China's efforts to form a coalition among the three main groups opposing the Vietnamese-backed Heng Samrin government in Kampuchea. Prince Sihanouk heads one group. The others are the Peking-backed Khmer Bouge, which ruled Kampuchea until ousted in the Vietnamese intervention of 1978, and non-communists led by the former Prime Minister Son Sann. A member of Prince Sihanouk's entourage said Mr. Deng had seemed very strong. The same aide announced that a Peking meeting between the Prince and the Khmer Rouge leader, Khieu Samphan, was likely before the end of February.
Source: CENTRAL CHINA TELEVISION