English league champions Liverpool had no trouble in defeating the Israeli national team 4-1 in a friendly match on May 22.
ISRAEL (WHITE) v LIVERPOOL (RED)
1. GV Liverpool attack, Souness hits shot into keeper's arms from 20 metres, crowd applaud. (2 SHOTS) 0.10
2. GV Mick Robinson strokes ball into roof of Israeli net to give Liverpool lead. 0.26
3. GV Ball crossed into Israeli penalty area where Souness heads it, forces goalie to push it round post for corner. 0.39
4. GV Liverpool take resulting corner and Ronnie Wheelan finds plenty of space of make it 2-0 with header. 0.52
5. GV Israel attack, Rifat Turk scores with fine shot on second attempt. Crowd applauds. (2 SHOTS) 1.10
6. SECOND HALF: GV Ronnie Wheelan shoots through crowd of players after free kick knocked back into box. (3-1) 1.22
7. GV Israel attacking, dispossessed by Liverpool forwards who take time setting up Souness, who scores with right foot from just outside the box. Final score 4-1 to Liverpool. 1.44
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: JAFFA, ISRAEL
English league champions Liverpool had no trouble in defeating the Israeli national team 4-1 in a friendly match on May 22. Liverpool, in their familiar red shirts, attacked forcefully from the opening whistle. Captain Graham Souness shot into the Israeli keeper's arms early in the match, but Liverpool did not open the scoring until the 15th minute, when Mick Robinson stroked the ball into the net from the edge of the area. The Israel defence allowed the Liverpool attack far too much room close to goal, conceding a corner when Graham Souness' header was pushed room close to goal, conceding a corner when Graham Souness' header was pushed round the post, and from the resulting kick, Ronnie Wheelan had plenty of time to make it 2-0. Israel pulled one back on the stroke of half time, when Rifat Turk scored with a fine shot after his first attempt had rebounded back to him. In the second half, Liverpool increased their lead after a free kick in the 53rd minute was knocked back into the box for Ronnie Wheelan to shoot through a mass of players into the Israeli net. In the 62nd minute, Israel were dispossessed on the half way line and the Liverpool attack took time setting up Graham Souness for the fourth goal. Liverpool used this game as useful practice for their European Cup Final match against Italian side Roma in Rome on May 30.
Source: REUTERS - ELI FASTMAN