Nicaragua's new Interior Minister Tomas Borge said yesterday (24 July) that no prisoners of war would be executed by the victorious Sandinist National Liberation Front (FSLN) which ousted President Anastasio Somoza last week.
Nicaragua's new Interior Minister Tomas Borge said yesterday (24 July) that no prisoners of war would be executed by the victorious Sandinist National Liberation Front (FSLN) which ousted President Anastasio Somoza last week. But he warned that anyone caught committing what he termed 'acts of terrorism' would be shot on sight.
SYNOPSIS: In northern Nicaragua a big hunt is going on for some six hundred members of Somoza's National Guard who have taken to the mountains. The soldiers were part of a convey of troops which left the capital of Managua on the final day of the Sandinist victory (19 July). It's alleged they later attacked a religious procession near Sabaco, a town one hundred kilometres, (sixty-three miles) north of Managua.
About fifty civilians including a number of women and children were killed and later buried in a mass grave. There are no authoritative estimates of how many people died in the civil war but rather than seeking revenge, most people say enough blood has been split and it is now time to build for the future.
On Sunday (22 July) hundreds of services were held throughout the country to give thanks for peace. Here in the centre of Managua the market was a flurry of activity for the first time since the so-called 'last offensive' began in May this year. Religious and revolutionary songs were played and people embraced in an outburst of relief and emotion. The priest praised all those who took up arms against the Somoza government.
Most public servants have returned to their post in Managua for the first time in nearly two months. Food vouchers may be issued and foreign aid has been requested. A number of offers of loans have already been received.