For the first time since the end of World War two, two West German warships paid a courtesy visit to Greece.
Frigate "Graf Spee" (F.215) seen entering the port of Pirasus. Various shots of her in the port and on her way to take berth. German Military Attache Colonel Von Kockrits and Greek Naval Liaison Officer chatting and in the background the "Graf Spee". Many other shots of the German and Greek flags, closer shots of the cadets, etc.
Shots of the "Hipper" (F.214) coming in with her crew lined up on deck. Various shots of her while taking berth in the harbour.
Shots of views of both of the frigates.
Aboard the "Graf Spee" the Commandant, Lt. Comm. Collman,seen chatting with the German Military Attache Von Kockrits and the Greek Liaison Commander Papadopoulos.
General views of the Training Ships.
Rear Admiral George Panayotopoulos, Chief of the Hellenic Naval Staff seen chatting with the Commanders of the two training ships and the German Military Attache during their courtesy visit at the Naval Staff H.Q.
A Greek detachment arrives at the Unknown Soldier's Tomb platform to render the honours.
German sailors and cadets arrive also at the platform.
The Commanders of the German frigates lay their wreaths at the Tomb.
They now respect the Guard of Honour.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: For the first time since the end of World War two, two West German warships paid a courtesy visit to Greece. They are the training frigates "Graf Spee" and "Hipper", commanded by Lieutenant Commander Herwig Collman and Lieutenant Commander Paul Hartwig respectively.
After tying up in Pirasus harbour, the two commanders paid a courtesy call upon Rear-Admiral George Panayotopoulos, Chief of the Hellenic Naval Staff, at his headquarters.
Later a member of both ships' crews laid wreaths on the Unknown Warriors tomb in Athens.
Both ships were formerly British Royal Navy craft, named "Flamengo" and "Acteon" They were transferred to the West German navy in 1958.