The Palestine National Council (P.N.C.) elected a new Speaker on November 23 to replace Khaled Al-Fahoum, who is boycotting the session, held in the Jordanian capital Amman.
1. GVs Delegates voting for PNC Speaker and votes being counted (3 shots) 0.24
2. SV P.L.O. Chairman and other delegates waiting for results to be announced 0.26
3. SV & GV Sheikh Abdul Hamid Sayeh being announced a new Speaker as delegates applaud (2 shots) 0.50
4. SVs Arafat greeting new speaker as he walks on to rostrum (5 shots) 1.19
5. SV New Speaking and delegates applaud (ARABIC SPEECH) 1.36
6. SV Arafat with raised arms, with Egyptian opposition leader Ibrahim Choukhri 1.45
7. GV Iraqi delegate speaking (ARABIC SOT) 1.57
8. GV PAN FROM Rostrum TO Arafat speaking from floor (ARABIC SOT) 2.17
9. CU Abu Jihad speaking (ENGLISH SOT) 2.45
TRANSCRIPT (SEQUENCE NINE):
JIHAD: "We are opening the road for any new development in the coming (indistinct)."
REPORTER: "There was any response?"
JIHAD: "We are ready too, and after the election of the new executive committee, the first duties we will have will be to continue the efforts for the Palestinian unity."
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: AMMAN, JORDAN
The Palestine National Council (P.N.C.) elected a new Speaker on November 23 to replace Khaled Al-Fahoum, who is boycotting the session, held in the Jordanian capital Amman. The new Speaker of the Palestine parliament-in-exile is Sheikh Abdul Hamid Sayeh, a 77-year-old Moslem religious leader from Jerusalem. He was elected to the post unopposed. His predecessor, speaking in Syrian capital, Damascus, said he still regarded himself as the legitimate speaker, and renewed charges that the current P.N.C. session was illegal for lack of forum. The P.N.C. session is taking place despite a Syrian-sponsored boycott by opponents of P.L.O. Chairman Yasser Arafat, who rebelled against him 18 months ago. Those present in Amman are largely supporters of Arafat's moderate line of investigating diplomatic ways to regain the Israeli occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip. Delegates from various parts of the Arab world have reaffirmed their support to Yasser Arafat, who praised Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, and Egyptian Opposition leader Ibrahim Choukhri. At the end of the day's session, a P.L.O. military chief told reporters the organisation's main duty was to work towards Palestinian unity. However, Khalil Wazir, better known under the name Abu Jihad, said the P.N.C.'s first task was to elect a new P.L.O. Executive Committee.
Source: JORDAN TELEVISION/REUTERS - GEORGE HAJ