Five people were injured on Monday (12 September) when a bomb exploded in an office building in Oxford Street.
Five people were injured on Monday (12 September) when a bomb exploded in an office building in Oxford Street. The continuing campaign of planting bombs and incendiary devices in Britain began in several stores in the Oxford Street area on Mid-August.
In this latest explosion, no warning had been given but a girl had seen a parcel left near a lift. She told her boss, who told the caretaker. He in turn telephones the police but the bomb went off before they could arrive.
The bombings are generally thought to be the work of the Irish Republican Army, although no-one has claimed credit for placing any of the devices. The British Home Secretary, Mr. Robert Carr, has said that the one thing clear was that the devices had an Irish connection.
The bombings have been condemned by the Irish Republic's Premier, Mr. Liam Cosgrave.
The recent spats of bombings has led London's police and authorities to tighten up security in public places, particularly airports and railway stations. There has been a threat to bomb fuel depots at London's Heathrow Airport.
THE TEXT OF AN EYE-WITNESS ACCOUNT OF THE EXPLOSION INCLUDED IN THIS FILM IS GIVEN BELOW: