INTRODUCTION: The French President was welcomed at Taif Airport by King Khaled and Crown Prince Fahd.
1. SV Mitterrand arriving being greeted by Saudi Officials 0.04
2. SV Mitterrand with Khaled and other officials walking into press conference 0.15
3. SV Mitterrand and Khaled at press conference (2 shots) 0.33
4. SV Mitterrand arriving at Saudi palace greeted by Khaled and receiving gift (3 shots) 0.49
5. GV Saudi Arabian National Guard 0.53
6. SV Mitterrand taking departure of officials and boarding aircraft (2 shots) 1.13
7. SV Farewell wave from Khaled 1.19
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: TAIF/SAUDI ARABIA
INTRODUCTION: The French President was welcomed at Taif Airport by King Khaled and Crown Prince Fahd. It is President Mitterrand's first visit to a Middle-East country since his election in May of this year. He and the Saudi delegation, led by King Khaled held a press conference at the end of the three-day visit.
SYNOPSIS: President Mitterrand arrived in the Saudi Summer capital of Taif to be greeted by King Khaled and Crown Prince Fahd of Saudi Arabia. The President and his delegation held a press conference with King Khaled and other Saudi Arabian leaders. M. Mitterrand said he had found wisdom and realism in the approach of the Saudi leaders to solving the Middle East crisis during the talks he had held with them over the week-end. The talks, however, left some problems unsolved.
President Mitterrand felt that Prince Fahd's peace proposals which were put to Western leaders proposals which were put to Western leaders and the US in early August, provided a launching base for new discussions on a peaceful solution to the continuing Arab-Israeli crisis.
Prince Fahd said Saudi Arabia appreciated France's refusal to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, despite M. Mitterrand's long-standing personal support for the Jewish state. For France and other Western European countries, the interest in the plan is in its implicit recognition that Israel also has a right to security and recognised frontiers.
President Mitterrand, left for Paris after the news conference and plans to visit Israel next January.
Source: SAUDI TELEVISION