MILAN AND TURIN, ITALY
A crowd of 65,000 in Milan watched home team Inter beat Sampdoria 2-0, on December 23.
MILAN AND TURIN, ITALY
MILAN: INTER MILAN (IN BLUE AND BLACK STRIPES) VERSUS SAMPDORIA:
1. GV Inter Milan attacking goal, ball saved by goalkeeper 0.16
2. GVs Inter Milan attacking; Sandro Altobelli scoring (2 shots) 0.32
3. GV Inter Milan attacking; ball saved by goalkeeper 0.43
4. GV Sampdoria attacking, ball saved by Inter Milan goalkeeper 0.56
5. GV Sampdoria attempting to score, ball saved by goalkeeper 1.08
6. GV Inter Milan's goal under attack, ball cleared by goalkeeper 1.19
7. GV Inter Milan's Franco Causio (No. 15) passes ball to Karl Heinz Rummenigge (No. 11) who scores (2 shots) 1.45
TURIN: JUVENTUS (IN BLACK AND WHITE STRIPES) VERSUS NAPOLI:
8. GV Juventus attack and take shot at goal. Ball saved by 'keeper 2.03
9. GV Napoli attacking, Diego Maradona shoots ball over crossbar 2.22
10. SV Juventus attacking, ball saved by goalkeeper 2.34
11. GV Juventus attacking down field, Massimo Briaschi scoring 3.00
12. GV Juventus taking free kick, ball saved Napoli goalkeeper 3.08
13. GV Play in progress 3.22
14. GV Juventus attack, Michel Platini scores 3.43
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: MILAN AND TURIN, ITALY
A crowd of 65,000 in Milan watched home team Inter beat Sampdoria 2-0, on December 23. The first division match got off to a scorching start with Inter strongly on the offensive. Their first try for goal failed when the Sampdoria keeper made a save, but in the eighth minute, Alessandro Altobelli scored from a header to put Inter 1-0 up. Inter Milan tried to push their advantage but the Sampdoria keeper stopped their attack. The visiting side then fought hard to equalise, making three convincing pushes which broke the Inter defence, but again failed to get past the goalkeeper. With the score still at 1-0 at half time, it was left to international star Karl Heinz Rummenigge to clinch the game in the 83rd minute for Inter Milan. He made it 2-0 on a pass from Franco Causio.
Another first division match saw Juventus crush Napoli to win 2-0 at Communale Stadium in Turin. The home side dominated from the start, storming towards the Napoli goal but failing to score. Napoli had one near miss when a shot from Argentine star Diego Maradona went over the crossbar, but two minutes before half time, Massimo Briaschi put Juventus a goal ahead. In the second period, the home side missed a golden opportunity from a free kick, and it was left to French virtuouso Michel Platini to score the second goal. This kept Platini in position as top goal scorer of the championship with eight goals this season.