• Short Summary

    ON WEDNESDAY (7 AUGUST), SIX DAYS AFTER THE MAJOR EARTHQUAKE WHICH DEVASTATED PARTS OF MANILA, LEAVING MORE THAN 300 DEAD, WORKERS WERE STILL DIGGING THROUGH THE WRECKAGE OF THE RUBY TOWERS APARTMENT BUILDING, IN SEARCH OF VICTIMS.

  • Description

    ON WEDNESDAY (7 AUGUST), SIX DAYS AFTER THE MAJOR EARTHQUAKE WHICH DEVASTATED PARTS OF MANILA, LEAVING MORE THAN 300 DEAD, WORKERS WERE STILL DIGGING THROUGH THE WRECKAGE OF THE RUBY TOWERS APARTMENT BUILDING, IN SEARCH OF VICTIMS. HOWEVER, DESPITE THE FACT THAT TWO NINE-YEAR-OLD GIRLS HAD EARLIER BEEN FOUND ALIVE UNDER THE RUBBLE, RESCUERS SAID IT WOULD BE A MIRACLE IF ANY MORE PEOPLE WERE FOUND ALIVE.

    THE TWO GIRLS WERE DRAGGED FROM THE WRECKAGE NAKED AND COVERED WITH SCRATCHES AND BRUISES, SIX DAYS AFTER THE COLLAPSE OF THE BUILDING HAD ENTOMBED THEM. DOCTORS SAID THAT BOTH GIRLS WERE EXPECTED TO LIVE. RESCUERS BELIEVED THAT THE GIRLS HAD SURVIVED BY EATING THEIR CLOTHES.

    WITH ABOUT A QUARTER OF THE RUINED BUILDING STILL TO BE DUG AWAY, 521 INHABITANTS HAVE BEEN ACCOUNTED FOR, WITH NEARLY 100 BELIEVED STILL BURIED. OF THOSE RECOVERED FROM THE RUBBLE, 260 PEOPLE WERE STILL ALIVE.

    WITH AFTERSHOCKS STILL BEING FELT IN THE CITY, ON TUESDAY (6 AUGUST) PRESIDENT MARCOS AUTHORISED THE EVACUATION OF SOME OF THE CITY'S TALL BUILDING, AFTER HUNDREDS HAD TAKEN TO THE STREETS IN PANIC. SEVEN MULTI-STOREY BUILDINGS, DAMAGED IN FRIDAY'S EARTHQUAKE, HAVE BEEN CONDEMNED AND WILL BE DEMOLISHED.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    VLVA19JQU1JET89STYRMBGWF10LNI
    Media URN:
    VLVA19JQU1JET89STYRMBGWF10LNI
    Group:
    Reuters - Source to be Verified
    Archive:
    Reuters
    Issue Date:
    10/08/1968
    Sound:
    Unknown
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Stock:
    Colour
    Duration:
    00:00:56:00
    Time in/Out:
    /
    Canister:
    N/A

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment