Things were rather hot at the 'Fireside' Restaurant, Chicago, recently when the place was gutted by fire.
No available shotlist
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Things were rather hot at the 'Fireside' Restaurant, Chicago, recently when the place was gutted by fire. This was one occasion when the joint was overdone. Dozens of fire-engines and fire appliances were rushed to the eating-house as flames roared through the roof and windows and leaped about fifth feet into the sky, turning the evening darkness into a glaring, reddened mistiness.
Slowly the 'Fireside' was consumed, first the roof caved in and then the walls, until, by morning nothing remained but a heap of smoking charcoal with an occasional, blacked girder, silhouetted against the gray, dismal morning sky, marking the spot where a wall stood or where a certain column used to obstruct someone's view.
Casualties among the fire-fighters were few, although one person was overcome with fumes and was whisked away to the local hospital.
Throughout the night thousands of gallons of water were poured into the 'Fireside', all around spots lights blazed to assist the firemen in operating the pumps and hoses. Unfortunately they were unable to prevent the hungry fire doing its worst and the 'Fireside' became fire fuel.