British Pathé welcomes articles and news coverage that increase awareness of our important collections. We've put together the following resources that might help you in your coverage. Feel free to use these both online and in print, and to share on social media.
British Pathé's Story
Before television, people went to movie theatres to watch the news. British Pathé was at the forefront of cinematic journalism, blending information with entertainment to popular effect. Over the course of a century, the company documented everything from major armed conflicts and seismic political crises to the curious hobbies and eccentric lives of ordinary people
Now considered to be the finest newsreel archive in the world, British Pathé is a treasure trove of 85,000 films unrivalled in their historical and cultural significance. Spanning the years from 1896 to 1978, the collection includes footage from around the globe of major events, famous faces, fashion trends, travel, science and culture. It is an invaluable resource for broadcasters, documentary producers, and archive researchers worldwide.
British Pathé also represents Reuters' historical collection, which includes more than 130,000 items from Reuters-owned collections Gaumont Graphic (1910-1932), Empire News Bulletin (1926-1930), British Paramount (1931-1957), and Gaumont British (1934-1959), as well as Visnews content from 1957 to the end of 1984. The footage can be viewed on the British Pathé website.
Reuters, the world's largest international news agency, employs 2,500 journalists in 200 locations delivering news in 16 different languages. Known around the globe for speed, accuracy and fairness, Reuters provides insight, depth and understanding to more than a billion people every day. More: Reuters Website
Key Facts and Figures
- British Pathé's Founder: Charles Pathé
- British Pathé's Foundation Year: 1910
- British Pathé's Headquarters: London, United Kingdom
- British Pathé's Parents: Pathé Frères (1910-1927), First National (1927-31), Warner Brothers (1931-33), Associated British Picture Corporation (1933-58), Warner Brothers (1958-69), EMI (1969-86), The Cannon Group (1986-87), Weintraub Entertainment Group (1987-89), Parkfield Group (1989-90), Greenbranch (1990-95), Daily Mail and General Trust (1995-2008), independent (2008-present)
- No. of British Pathé Items: 85,000 films and 12 million stills produced from them
- No. of Reuters Items: 130,000 films
- British Pathé Item Dates: 1896-1978, Newsreels 1910-70
- Reuters Item Dates: 1910-1984
- Main Genres: Newsreels, Documentaries, Cinemagazines
- British Pathé's Current Activities: Footage and Stills Licensing, Online Streaming
- British Pathé's Clients: Broadcasters, Producers, Museums, and Schools, among others.
The British Pathé Brand
Various logos are available for use by journalists. They must not be used in a manner which suggests endorsement by British Pathé. Their original aspect ratio and colour scheme must be retained.
Main Logo, white on black
Horizontal Logo, black on white
Horizontal Logo, white on black
As well as the website you are currently visiting, British Pathé can also be found on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, WordPress and LinkedIn.
British Pathé Images
Click on the thumbnails for larger versions of the images that you can save to your desktop.
Relevant Past Press Releases, Informational Videos and Interviews
Note that the contact details and information within these may have changed since their original release.New Video Treasure Trove Available on YouTube, 17/12/2020
YouTube Recognises British Pathé with a Gold Creator Award for Exceeding 1 Million Subscribers, 04/07/2019
British Pathé Signs Deal to Represent Reuters Historic Footage, 24/04/2018
British Pathé Awarded Footage Library of the Year, 26/05/2017
Opening Up a Vast Archive, 24/05/2016
British Pathé Reclaims North American Rights, 29/03/2016
British Pathé Releases 85K Videos on YouTube, 17/04/2014
British Pathé Wins Archive of the Year, 03/05/2012
General Manager Alastair White on BBC Breakfast, 20/08/2011
British Pathé’s Date With History, 08/06/2009